Related Posts with Thumbnails

Aug 22, 2009

JoJo's Blog Entry About Sueing Her Label

When I sat down to write this blog I turned on one of my favorite albums, Jill Scott's "Who is Jill Scott?", thinking it might mellow me out, calm me down, and give me the focus to articulate all that I want to say. After all, for me, music has the power to change my mood and help me through every time in my life. Music can/will/has/does make me happy/sad/mad/passionate/energetic/etc. Music is my life. The thought of not being able to express myself through music is devastating to me!
Recently I had to make one of the toughest decisions in my career thus far. It's a long drawn out story, but I wont bore you with all the gory details... lol.
For the past year and a half I've been diligently cooperating with my record label(s) so I can have the opportunity to continue with my career and do what I love the most; create music and sing. I've been a patient team player and have done everything that was asked and/or expected of me. As you may already know, my record company has been going through a major transition and unfortunately all of the artists on the label have been forced to sit on the sidelines and wait. I exhausted every option and exercised much patience before reaching my final decision to file a formal complaint with the court.
My situation is a bit a-typical. It is not a case where the artist loves the material they are making, is set in his or her ways, will not take direction or advice, and will not cooperate with the label. This is NOT the case at all. I've been blessed to receive great feedback from the record company in response to the music I've been delivering. But unfortunately I have become a victim of industry politics that honestly have nothing to do with me personally or professionally. Because of this, I am willing to fight for what I love and ultimately for the chance to regain control of my livelihood and my life.
I cant wait for the day when I can share the music that me and the album's contributors have created. I am so anxious to get back to what really matters. I didn't get into this industry for anything else other than my absolute passion for and love of MUSIC. At 12 years old when my mom and I signed the contracts, I could never have imagined that there would be so many other, far less attractive aspects to this business. However, at the end of the day I hold no animosity towards my record company(s). I learned from an early age that this is a business and it is NOT personal.
I love and appreciate every single person who has stuck by me and supported me through these trying times, particularly my fans. I love you guys so much and I couldn't get through this without you. As I've mentioned in previous blogs, I really look forward to speaking more candidly about this time in my life and most importantly, delivering the music that has taken such a long time to come out. I will not rest until my goals are actualized.

Thanks again for your encouragement and your patience!
xoooxoooo
-Jo


Source

0 Comments:

Post a Comment