Related Posts with Thumbnails

Aug 16, 2009

New Review on "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel"

Our friends from The Prophet Blog published a new review on Mariah's album sampler.
Read it below.

1 - Candy Bling. By far my favourite. It took me back to the days of Underneath the Stars. Except that this time it is obviously UTS on her terms. So we have more airy notes and no belting - a theme throughout Memoirs. Everyone was loving this track. A lot of heads were nodding round the room.

2 - Obsessed. 'Nuff said. Like the idea that it was just something festive for summer. No matter what I thought this was hot. Really think it's edgy ALTHOUGH if you gave it to Cassie or whoever else it would sound normal. Only because it's Mariah does it sound edgy.

3 - H.A.T.E. U. I feel JD might have wanted to progress or whatever so she picks up with the other producer out there who can give her some mid-tempo summer jamz - The Dream. Didn't like the demo, wasn't a fan of this.

4 - Standing O. Was good. I think it was at this point that I realised something. No matter how hard she tries, like Kylie, she will never be cool. OK, Butterfly era was kinda cool, but really that was it. Let it go. Stop chasing rainbows! But back to the track. I liked this one, it was nice but again very mid-tempo. But very soulful which is something the head of Island Records said about the record.

5 - Impossible. About Nick. Slow jam. Blah.

6 - I Want To Know What Love Is. I liked it and it got a great reception. However there is a really uncomfortable key change mid way where it suddenly goes apeshit and you think the CD is skipping. She should have drawn the single out with another bridge or extra chorus to allow the run up to seem more natural. I guess it's hard when the song is someone else's. But you know she's had big success with rock ballads so there is definitely a formula for her.



For some reason it surprises me that "Candy Bling" gets associated with "Underneath the Stars" because "Candy Bling" sounds so like Hip Hop to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment