Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sep 21, 2009

Review on Mariah Carey's "Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel"

After her last album “E=MC²” which was released in 2008 Mariah is now back with her album “Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel”.

Betcha Gon Know

The prologue is already one of the great songs of the album. It starts slowly and you hear MC repeat the title “Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel”. Great track to take off.

Obsessed

I’m still 100% convinced that the damn song is about Eminem, Mariah can deny it as long as she wants – I won’t buy it. Although I love the song with its catchy lyrics I think it doesn’t fit to the album.

H.A.T.E. U.

The-Dream’s demo for this song leaked a while ago and I even loved the song sung by him. Consequently, Mariah upgrades the song and makes it definitely single worthy.

Candy Bling

When I read the title for the first time I was like “Hell, Mariah, what’s up with the ghetto title?” The song itself is alright, not one of my favorites though. I feel like the “bling” in the instrumental is a little too loud so that Mariah’s voice isn’t really clear to hear.

Ribbon

“Ribbon” is a song which sounds like The-Dream would love to sing on his own album. I am also of the opinion that there is too much going on.

Inseperable

This song is nice but it is no highlight.

Standing O

I was really anticipating this song as it received great reviews from the listening parties. Furthermore I expected it to be a powerful ballad which it is not. The chorus is catchy (O O Oho O) My favorite line is: “You’re the man of the hour I’m up to send you some flowers”

The line “round of applause to biggest fool in the world” reminds me really of Rihanna’s “Take A Bow”.

Overall a very good song because I really love how Mariah is using her lower register.

It’s A Wrap

Now we come to my favorite song off the album. This song screams “Oldskool vibe + old Mariah”. Totally amazing. It’s one of those songs where Mariah Carey shows her pure vocals and forgets about whispering. I wish there was more of this.

Up Out My Face

That is also a contender for being the 2nd/3rd single. Great track.

Up Out My Face (Reprise)

The reprise is so funny to me. It’s totally random with its military influence. Kinda hot though.

More Than Just Friends

Also a cool track which gives me “The Emancipation Of Mimi” feeling.

The Impossible

It gives me a feeling of “E=MC²” ‘s “Love Story”. The song is a grower for me, it doesn’t stand out from the first listen.

The Impossible (Reprise)

You don’t notice it when this part starts because it just continues from the original song.

Angel (Prelude)

Absolutely beautiful…

Angels Cry

…just like the actual song. It is one of the highlights on “Memoirs”. I absolutely love this song.

Languishing (Interlude)

Seriously this makes me mad. Really mad. Mariah is an idiot. She’s an idiot for not making this a real song. It is so beautiful that it easily outshines some of the songs on the album. So dear Mariah, if you read that: Please go back to the studio and record it again as a full song. Thanks.

I Want To Know What Love Is

I love it. Just love it. My playcount supports this statement by the way.

When I first listened to the album I was a little underwhelmed but with every listen the album as its entire artwork grows on me. But I came to the conclusion that this album is so complex that you cannot get into it with the first listen. I discover new things with every listen and this is what makes the album so interesting.

Besides that we don’t want to forget why Mariah brought joy to so many people around the globe: her voice.

When one watched her perform in the past years one would be in disbelief being shocked what happened to one of the greatest voice ever. She was struggling and I personally was so sad because I was like: OMG Why wasn’t I born 10 years earlier? I could have experience a Mariah concert where everything was about the vocals.

But seeing her Oprah performance and her vocals on “Memoirs Of An Imperfect” make me happy again. Mariah seemed to work on the vocals and it is so good she did that. There are not many singers out there who can record a song so good as Mariah does. The different background vocals she adds to a song make it so special, it’s incredible. Things like those make me appreciate an artist even more.

Concering the lyrics it is definitely a step up to “E=MC²” as she is no longer “That Chick” who wants to “Migrate” from the club to the car to tell her “Love Story”.

I just wished there was a great ballad à la “Vision Of Love”, “Hero”, “Through The Rain” or “Fly Like A Bird”.

Overall, well done, Mariah! My iTunes will definitely count a lot of “Memoirs” plays.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your review and couldn't agree more, Mariah outdid herself with this album!

iwontstfu said...

Thank you! What's your favorite song?

Post a Comment